Our Family Genealogy Pages

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames
Search
First Name:


Last Name:





Family: Marcus Himmelfarb / Minnie Berger (F69)



Family Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Father | Male
    Marcus Himmelfarb

    Born  12 Mar 1882  Demidovka, Ukraine, Russia Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died  15 Dec 1951  Washington, District of Columbia, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
    Buried  17 Dec 1951  B'nai Israel Cemetery Find all individuals with events at this location
    Married     
    Father  Feivish Nuta Himmelfarb | F65 Group Sheet 
    Mother  Chana Pesi Rude | F65 Group Sheet 

    Mother | Female
    Minnie Berger

    Born  10 Oct 1888  Russia Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died  Nov 1971  Washington, District of Columbia, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
    Buried     
    Father  Michael Berger | F1645 Group Sheet 
    Mother  Hannah Himelfarb | F1645 Group Sheet 

    Child 1 | Male
    + Carl Himmelfarb

    Born  17 Aug 1912  Baltimore, Baltimore City, Maryland, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died  21 Jan 1985  Kensington, MD Find all individuals with events at this location
    Buried  24 Jan 1985  B'nai Israel Cemetery Find all individuals with events at this location
    Spouse  Diane Ina Lefson | F427 
    Married     

    Child 2 | Male
    + Arthur Robert Himmelfarb

    Born  8 Jan 1914  Baltimore, Baltimore City, Maryland, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died  19 Jan 1986  Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Florida, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
    Buried    Washington Hebrew Congregation, Washington, DC Find all individuals with events at this location
    Spouse  Mavis Adonna Robertson | F426 
    Married  10 Mar 1946  Washington, District of Columbia, United States Find all individuals with events at this location

    Mildred HimmelfarbChild 3 | Female
    + Mildred Himmelfarb

    Born     
    Died     
    Buried     
    Spouse  Dr. Albert I. Robins | F423 
    Married     

  • Notes 
    • A S E A S O N O F G R O W T H

      The rolls of the Alumni Association were bolstered in 1913 and 1915, when the institution merged with the Baltimore Medical College and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, respectively. During this period, Association presidents continued advancing Cordell's mission statement and began expanding the MAA's role in the life of the institution. In 1916, Volume I of The Bulletin alumni magazine was published. It quickly became the central communications link between the school and its alumni. Minutes from a 1940 board meeting describe the role of the publication 25 years after inception: "Class reunion plans, announcement of the new Medical School dedication and other interesting activities to be reported in detail in the next issue of The Bulletin."

      With the country on the brink of the Depression, on Jan. 9, 1929, the Alumni Association incorporated and adopted the title "The Alumni Association of
      the School of Medicine of the University of Maryland, Inc." There was a motive behind this action. The following day, Association President Charles R. Edwards '13 signed an agreement to purchase, from Marcus and Minnie Himmelfarb, the property at 519 W. Lombard St., located across from the Medical Building. To finance the $22,500 purchase, the Association issued 6 percent secured bonds. Almost immediately, books, supplies and stationery were ordered and the University Bookstore was opened. On Sept. 17, 1930, the corporation entered into a lease agreement with Abe and Hyman Schunick to operate a cafeteria and lunch business in the basement and rear of the first floor.

      Pictured: Charles R. Edwards '13 led the Association's effort to incorporate in 1929.

      In the 1930 yearbook, the building at 519 W. Lombard was referred to as the Medical Alumni House and the cafeteria was called the University Inn. The eatery changed names over the next several years and may have changed hands as well. It is unclear whether the Association continued managing it beyond 1931; however, a fuel oil contract dating from 1935 indicates that the Association managed at least the property through that year. But as the Depression persisted, the organization was about to be transformed.